Proxy Business

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 18:47:38 +0100

Alex asked me, in V7#591:

> Was it you that implied that the GP and the 'Silver proxy' might
> shortly be going to have a small contretemps on just such matter?

Well, I actually meant in that snippet to suggest that Ignifer (a Mask of Moonson) might conceivably be "re-absorbed" by his Silver Proxy.

Though of course the history books would recall that Moonson Argenteus defeated and reabsorbed his rebellious Flame Proxy... :-)

> I don't think the new body of the next Mask is created 'out of
> whole cloth', or whatever, but nor am I completely convinced that
> it's simply a single, previously mortal person, with an identifi-
> able 'previous life', as Martin puts it.

I don't think that it's *simply* a single, previously mortal person, either. But nor do I think that it has nothing whatsoever to do with any "previously mortal persons".

Nor, again, do I think that merely providing the Body of the next Mask has the overwhelming identity-related importance Martin seems to assign it. It's pretty cool, yes. But it doesn't mean that "You Are Moonson" (and therefore that "Moonson is Nobody, or Non-Singular, or a Fraud"), as Martin seems to imagine.

>> IMO, the new Mask will look like a successful claimant and possess >> recognisable elements of his personality, skills and interest.

> Does he look and act, etc, in a manner resembling _a_ claimant, or
> would it be more Correct to suggest he might resemble some combination
> in some degree or other of one or more of the constituent fresh
> batch of mortal Egi?

Yes, the latter would be more correct. Though I am not sure that your "mortal Egi" is the term I'd use for these claimants. Egi stuff has more to do with "fixing" the other wandering parts of Moonson and reintegrating him, IMO, not just providing the Body. That's mortals' business -- politics, if you like.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick