Misc. Quickies

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 09:35:55 +0100

Peter Metcalfe writes:

> Methinks Martin has taken a singular statement by Greg, plus a
> literal reading of the Fortunate Succession's crap about how
> wonderful he is and blown it out of proportion.

Yep. Certainly looks that way. Singularly foolish, one might pun.

Nils Weinander writes:

> What about extending this a bit so that various institutions
> can determine a varying number of soul parts, but that none
> of them can determine _all_ of them? That would make it a
> lot harder to disprove an impostor, as you would have to
> make a number of institutions cooperate.

I don't think the claimants necessarily begin with *any* of the Red Emperor's soul parts. I think the only thing they can be tested for is suitability to be the next Mask's body. I think more than one person can pass this test, thus the Empire isn't obliged to accept the first suitable claimant who comes along.

Our version doesn't really have "imposters" -- until the new Mask emerges, nobody is Moonson (yet). Takenegi's Self (etc.) aren't yet embodied and can't contribute to proceedings, be detected in any claimants, etc. But this is all stated more clearly in my post "Interregnum", qv.

Alex Ferguson writes:

> The fallacy implicit in much of this discussion, IMO, is precisely
> that identity is a discrete commodity, and therefore whether 'Mask
> A is the same as Mask B' has a 'crisp' true/false answer.

Bingo.

and,

> I think the RE certainly _does_ remember previous 'lives',

Agreed.

> but I hesitate to ascribe this to the Great Self

Agreed.

> The memory may 'restored' to the body of the new Mask during the
> Egi Ritual, or at some other such point;

Seems likely to me that this is when it's "nailed down", though as you say:

> having such 'memories', even in flashes, may be a 'sign' that one
> has an 'Egi vocation', or what the RMM crowd might call a Mandate
> of the Moon...

That sounds good to me, too.

and,

> I would suggest that 'in a sense' the person 'donating' their body
> (or such persons), attempting to 'become' Moonson, etc, etc, are going
> to be Egi, even if they only 'became' Egi five minutes ago, and only
> for that purpose.

OK, 'in a sense' they're Egi if they're participating in the "Ritual of Rejuvenation" (odd title, BTW, if you can come out of it as Venerabilis).

> I don't really see the 'guy who gets to be the body' as being different
> in kind from the 'guy who gets to be assorted other bits', if there
> even is truly a single (I won't say, singular...) such guy.

I've been working with the impression that the Egi (collectively) put together the parts; not that the Egi (individually) *are* the parts.

> I suppose in crude political terms, [the Egi] act something like a
> Star Chamber.

Yep, that sounds good to me.

> In practical terms, after you've participated in an Egi ritual, then
> you, or what's left of you, would definitely be in an Elevated State
> Indeed, and not likely to be doing much politicing.

Also, it's possible that each time a Mask dies, some of the Egi are blown apart (by "feedback", as it were) and have to be replaced. Adding a nice new twist to the politicking -- as there's now a bunch of "elevated" vacancies to fill during the interregnum before it can possibly be brought to an end. (No Council of Egi: no new Mask of Moonson).

Wesley Quadros writes, to Peter:

> Your arrogance and rudeness is truly impressive. Is this how you win
> all of your arguments? Insult those who disagree with you until they
> can't be bothered to feed your ego any further?

Isn't that a rather long-winded way of saying "OK: I was wrong"? :-)

David Dunham writes:

> It's hard to imagine the Holy Country setting up customs posts and
> looking for contraband murex shells.

Not any more it's not. Thanks!

"Is that sea cucumber for your own *personal* use, sir?"

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick