Re: Martin replies

From: Graham J Robinson <gjr_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 11:03:17 +0100 (BST)

Martin Laurie again :

>Greg is gearing the new product towards the uber arch of the story which is
>truly heroic and massively epic. World spanning to say the least (right
>James, you Troll nutter you). He is therefore clarifying stuff to fit the
>uber arch. He wants the Emperor to be less "uncertain" because if he were to
>be replacable in the manner that Nick plumbs for, the collapse crisis would
>be _less_ of a major HW thread/threat. Perhaps the amount is debatable, but
>Greg percieves this as being important. I happen to agree with his logic.

Maybe its just me, but I don't see the logic here. Even if the LoM version were the normal one (which as far as I'm aware no one is claiming it is) there is nothing in this that stops the effects being just as drastic. Given the LoM model involves both moon mandates - which would not be forthcoming if the Emperor is not going to reincarnate - and the bodily possession of the chosen candidate by the red emperor - which again, can't happen and would probably be more or less obvious (at least after tests) - there are plenty of opportunities for "Oh shit this ain't going to work" moments.

>I guess one could say that the cause and effect chain is starting with a
>desired effect and working backwards. The desired effect being maximum
>imperial breakdown.

This is a laudable aim, especially for those of us who still harbour a sneaking admiration for those brave sartar boys and girls. However, the chain does not need to be quite so stiff. There is still plenty of room for other possibilities, and indeed this may be desirable. Giving up because the one true way doesn't work isn't nearly as dramatic (IMO) as giving up after six months of trying increasingly obscure recipes - starting with everything that's ever worked before, and ending with rumours culled from old volumes in the depths of Irripi Ontor temples. Admittedly this gives a much more gradual, political crisis than perhaps Greg is looking for, but this is likely anyway. After all, the Empire is used to the idea that sometimes the reincarnation takes some time, so they aren't going to panic overnight.

Finally, a quick question. Possibly this is just something I've overlooked, but why the masks? I mean, I know they arrived in response to the crisis, Sheng, etc. But why that form? I don't remember ever seeing anything but the most superficial explanation - something about greater flexibility - but nothing that seems that convincing.

Graham

"I was the king of the alley, Mama, I could talk some trash."