more Lunar Empire

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 01:11:23 +0800

        Further to my previous message, more thoughts on the Empire. Spurred in parts by seeing Gladiator, which despite having only the vaguest nods to real history (as far as I can see, it just used a few names and the fact that Commodus did fight in the arena (though he didn't die in it), and the rest was purest fiction), did get me inspired about Roman history, which is still the closest Empire to the Lunars.

So, some thoughts about the Red Empire. THis isn't really much to do with the current discussions, more just me throwing ideas out into the public arena for comment.

What other positions of importance are their within the Empire? What other titles are important to Lunar politics?

        We know of the Tribunal. Presumably, the Tribunes make up the Tribunal. The main duty of the Tribunal is to review the behaviour of the non-hereditary leaders of the Empire, and to warn, censure, or dismiss them. Perhaps, like Roman Tribunes, they also have some rights to veto laws. They did have the right to criticise the Emperor, and probably still have that right - it is presumably little exercised, and the criticism of the Tribunes does not seem to have any legal force on the Emperor (though it did cause Wanthanelm to abdicate, it seems to have been a voluntary response to such a harsh criticism). We have no Chaosium source that says that they still exist, but nothing to suggest they do not either. The Tribune system is incredibly ancient, predating the Senate. I do not think that these Tribunes are the same as Nicks Red Tribunes, who seem to be rather more junior and of more varied responsibilities (if, indeed, they still exist in the HW era), though they may be an evolution of the ancient Tribunal system. I have no idea how the Tribunes are appointed - in Rome, they were elected. Given their role, that seems a reasonable possibility.

        The Senate. Unlike the Roman Senate, which predated the Emperors, the Lunar Senate was created by the Emperors. It is thus less important than the early Roman Senate, having no real claim to power over the Emperor. It exists to advise the Emperor only.

        One question about the Empire, though, is who rules when there is an Interregnum. I suspect that it has become the Senate, through long custom, who in the abscence of the Emperor (or in the abscence of Imperial interest) appoints the various high offices. The politics of the time will determine whether this leads to a Presidium who rule outright, or a Presidium who rule by consultation with the Senate. Possibly the official procedure for some important positions is that the Senate suggests candidates, and the Emperor has right of veto - thus, in the abscence of an Emperor, the Senate has power. There is also some room for a political struggle between Emperor and Senate, as the Senate refuses to put forward the name of a desired candidate - alternatively, the Emperor could be able to suggest names himself, thus being able to overule the Senate.

        Again, the Senate as an institution was probably reformed by the Lunars to make it reflect the Lunar power structures somewhat more. It has always been since its founding an institution that reflected many of the various sources of power within the Empire, including several outside the Yelmic nobility, so this probably has not changed its nature hugely.

        And, of course, the Satraps/Sultans. One of the most interesting things about the Satraps/Sultans is that the titles remain (Yelmic) hereditary ones. The Emperor cannot simply remove the Satraps/Sultans from their posts. Presumably the Tribunes can judge them, and the Emperor can send the Tax Demons against them to test them. The Emperor has also on occasion dealt with recalcitrant clans be having them all executed for treason, but they must at least be plausibly implicated in treason for him to do with. But the Emporer cannot simply change rulership of a province - a clan that is innocent of wrongdoing (or at least, has committed no wrong doing that can be found by the Tax Demons or the Tribunes) is relatively secure in its position even against a hostile Emperor, providing they maintain their responsibilities to the Empire, and are not actively disloyal.

        LOM also says that these rulers gather as the Court of the Silver Gate. I like this idea (perhaps because of my pleasant memories of it during the Australian run of LOM), and suggest that this is one of the most important institutions of power in the Empire, precisely because it is NOT particularly beholden to the Emperor. If you want an opposition to the Emperor (as the Senate often was to Roman Emperors), the Court of the Silver Gate is probably the best candidate for the role, rather than the Senate. Of course, the Imperial family are also represented as the holders of the Sultanate of Silver Shadow. So if you want a place for Machiavellian realpolitik, the Court of the Silver Gate is it - a gathering of leaders with some degree of independence from Imperial Power sorting out the practicalities of the Empire.

        Of course, all the Satraps and many of their families are also Imperial Senators, so the Court of the Silver Gate will be mixed up with the politics of the Senate. One way to see current Lunar politics is as a

Other Institutions

Other Institutions of the Empire supported by the Emperor. These give you some idea how the Emperors influence is felt outside the purely political arena.

The Sisters Sisters - presumably, charitable workers under the direction of Great Sister.
The Order of Day and other New Monks organisations - religious organisations with an Imperial charter.
The One Hundred Imperial Artists - each city has an artist who is imperially supported to create monuments to the Emperor and the Goddess. Emperor. Awarded by representatives from the various cities after performing the Ten Tests.
The Counting Scholars - Imperial auditors.

Titles of the Emperor.

What are the Emporers titles? This tells us something about the aspects of the succession after the basic Rite of Rejuvenation restores Moonson.

Padishah of Carmania.
Imperator, almost certainly. Awarded by the Legions, presumably by Bellex Maximus often in practice. Like the Romans, perhaps this title can be re-awarded by the armies in the case of military victories? (leading to Roman titles like Imperator XIII)
High Priest of the Red Goddess (Rufelza Pontifex Maximus) and many other cults besides - awarded by the varous priesthoods. Probably proclaimed High Priest of the Red Goddess by the priesthood immediately following the Rite of Rejuvenation. What other cults is he high priest of? King of Raibanth - by the priesthood of Raiba? In practice the real duties of King of Raibanth are delegated to the Overseer of Raibanth. Son of the Red Moon - whoever comes out of the Rite of Rejuvenation is the Son of the Red Moon. This may or may not be a formal title. Lord of the Four Quarters - is this a formality title now, or do the Masks have to ritually earn it as Takenegi did? Father of the City of Glamour.
TakenEgi - whoever the Egi follow is TakenEgi - I guess the Egi pronounce the Emperor to be the TakenEgi, probably immediately following the Rite of Rejuvenation.
Rufus - probably just a title given automatically to Tribune - not sure.
Free-Keeper of Souls - probably awarded by the Lunar priesthood after he demonstrates his master of the Four-Horned Demons. Supreme Arbiter - effectively, the ultimate source of Lunar Justice. Probably a title assumed as part of the Ten Tests, many of which deal with Justice.
Bearer of Antirius - another Ten Tests title.

	Cheers
		David

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #626