History and Territory

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 18:58:17 +0100

Mike Cule writes:

> I really don't want Glorantha to develop in the same way as the World
> Of Darkness with an 'official' history constantly being revised in
> irritating ways.

I am *horribly* afraid that it is too late for this, and that Greg's plans will only exacerbate the discomfort we already feel. But time will tell...

David Boatright writes:

> Thanks for the spoiler alert Mr Cake.

Gee, so the bad guy... dies??

How very un-Hollywoodlike.

___
MOB writes:

> IMO, change for change's sake is just egregious scent-marking of the
> worst kind...

Maybe Greg unconsciously expresses his territoriality about Glorantha in the same way a dog does: he'll never feel something new *really* belongs in his world until he's pissed all over it :-)

>> One question about the Empire, though, is who rules when there is >> an Interregnum.

> Like David, I suspect that "constitutionally" it is the Senate, though I
> wonder what happens in practice*.

In "Life of Moonson" we reverted to an impromptu "triumvirate," consisting of the Imperial Chamberlain ("the Emperor's Voice"), the Speaker of the Senate ("the Emperor's Mind") and the Grand Master of the Cenobites ("the Emperor's Will").

I agree that this is a good time to allow the Senate off the leash: let them think they're important for a time.

I suggest that the Senate was more important under Takenegi than under the preceding Dara Happan Emperors or subsequent Masks of Moonson: this allows the "Old Republican Idealist" school of thought some currency in contemporary Gloranthan. See "I, Claudius" or the Marcus Didius Falco series for examples.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick