Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #629

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 09:52:34 +0800

> >> get without ado to what he wants from a succession crisis -
> >> generals in the mundane world who can send big armies against
> >> each other. I personally am happy to have a model that will
> >> accomodate both, but a little disappointed that Martin wants a
> >> model that cuts out my kind of fun...
>
>??? Where on earth do you get that idea? You are plainly supposing that I
>view the military sphere as distinct from the magical one.
	Not necessarily.
	While meant to be reassuring, it just leaves me thinking...

>Far from it. The
>military and magical spheres are linked utterly. One cannot think army
>without thinking magic. One cannot think battle without thinking heroquest
>and ritual. In Glorantha these things are utterly interlinked.

        ...but what I was asking for is for them not to linked - to have heroquest without battles (conflict, sure, but not large scale conflict), magic without armies, being a major element of any major Pelorian power stuggle. This is far more the norm than armies clashing in Peloria. Label it 'commando style action by small elite units' if you wish to try and fit it into your military worldview, but I don't think that really captures much of the feel of whats going on - a lot of heroquesting has rather subtler effects than that, and doesn't involve direct engagement with the opposition.

        In fact, in the Lunar conception, surely a major reason for the Dart Competition system is to enable conflict between nobility without the use of armies? Again, its a difference between the Lunars and the Dara Happans, and a deliberate policy of the Lunars/Moonson to stop armies acting in the Heartland.

        In a post-Moonson era, the system might break down, and we might see a real civil war - but its not the usual process, and it will be regarded as a real disaster by many in the Empire. I certainly don't think military action is usually a part of the succession process.

	Cheers
		David

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #630