Various stuff

From: Danny Mr <ad236_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 11:12:51 +0100

Martin
> Generally accepted, when in fact the details have only been discussed
> in this debate to any depth? It seems to me that if it is generally
> accepted (by the 10% of digesters that post on the subject), then that
> is a new thing.

I generally accept the Soviet model et al, and therefore haven't posted anything about it. I'm sure others have the same opinion

Martin:
I'm less interested as a GM in the RE mythic succession and far more interested in the realpolitik consequences of Imperial breakdown. To me the Machiavellian intrigue in the chambers of the palace is less interesting to me than the open war it brings. My Empire is not dominated by Bureaucratic
schemers, in the end, in my world, they get a sword through the head from the
heroic warrior type.

You'll still have to write for both concepts and I would imagine it would be hard to write something good for something you're less interested in. <snip>

In SGU, I care about writing something my players can use.

I hope that should say everyone's players, rather than my players.

My good friend Martin Dougherty,
>who is on this list and doesn't post or read it very often, if a writer of
>GURPS traveller product. He has encountered Traveller fans who will not
even
>look at his excellent work (Behind the Claw)

<On a side note, I think it's rather good, actually>

>There has to be a product to be retconned.

I don't know how you went about the whole process but if it was me in your position I would have contacted people who had produced any work on the area in question, thrown your ideas and - and talked it over with - them, posited your position and modus operandi and then gone public (well, at least onto the digest) with the results. It would have saved so much argument.

>>As I've already pointed
>>out, it burns otherwise potential collaborators ("The final result of
which
>>was that I vowed I would never work on anything based in Glorantha again",
>>Mr Danny GD V7 #583).
>
>That is up to them. My view of G was burnt by Greg because it disagreed
with
>his, but I chose to carry on. Choices.

FYI, The reason I made the decision I did about Glorantha was as follows: (and I realise it's not the same situation that you're in as you're working under Greg's aegis). Simon Bray, Martin Hawley, Dan Prentice, Richard Faragher and myself were looking for something to do, after contacting Rob Heinsoo, he said to go ahead with work on the Grazelands and submit it. While working on it we contacted Dave Dunham and Stephen Martin who were both helpful and insightful in terms of shaping our work. Once we had 240 pages completed, we then got the call that it had been decided that the Grazelands was a Gloranthan core area and so would be written in house. Thus into the bin went our 240 pages and I don't know how many man hours of work. I'm still waiting to see where this core area is in the HW product listing, and it seems that The Lunar Empire (which I would assume to be a core area) isn't being written in house - I assume you're freelancing and not an employee.

>>And it makes currently productive collaborators
>>wonder, "why did we bother? And why should we ever bother again?" (Nick,
GD
>>V7 #579). Such a state of affairs is hardly productive, nor professional.
>
>I agree. Professional people know that things change in business and you
do
>what your boss tells you.

The Nuremburg Defence! I've actually resigned from a post because I didn't agree with my boss over certain areas, rather than becoming a brown-nosing yes man and mutter about him behind his back. I consider myself a professional person.

I must admit it does make me wonder why, given that Greg's got his position on the whole RE matter, why isn't he writing it himself?