Dersu Uzala

From: HCarteau_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 16:08:51 EDT

Dersu Uzala is a beautiful book written by a 19th century russian whose name I forgot, turned into a movie by Kurosawa. Nice movie, but as half as good as the book.
I wouldn't qualify old Dersu as a shaman, but rather as a Hunter God Initiate, also following his Ancestors. When met by the young russian captain, he is already very old and has something over 115% in plant and animal lore. He uses a rifle, and I would equate it with 120% bow. He also uses traps and snares (devise over 100%). His taboo is the Tiger - he fears them and avoids them unless he's cornered). He becomes goes slowly blind and chooses suicide by losing himself in the tundra.
A beautiful character described in a very moving way, in a splendid and very dangerous Nature. He would be an interesting NPC.