Dersu Uzala

From: Hughes, John (NAT) <"Hughes,>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:48:04 +1000

> HCarteau_at_aol.com shares some thoughts on a Kurusawa film.
>
>Dersu Uzala is a beautiful book written by a 19th century russian whose
name
>I forgot, turned into a movie by Kurosawa. Nice movie, but as half as good
as
>the book.

Vladimir Arseniev. His memoir.

>A beautiful character described in a very moving way, in a splendid and
very
>dangerous Nature. He would be an interesting NPC.

A gorgeous Kurosawa film, in fact it won an Oscar in the late seventies for best foreign film. K had been planning the film for nearly thirty years. Its done in colour (in fact colour is *the* storytelling device) with a great deal of affection and insight. Don't expect a samuri epic though. Can I find it again on video here in Oz? *Expletive* I can.

John