Commonly known and more

From: Eric Rowe <wizard_at_wizards-attic.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 20:35:29 -0700

Just a short note on broad-based numbers and percentiles every one is throwing around. By my best estimates since its creation 1.2 million people have played in glorantha at one time or another. I guarantee the majority don't recall who published it or even what the world was called. The long term audience for Hero Wars is hoped to be that large as well, but even if it isn't close very little published before 2000 should seriously be considered commonly known (be it fan or Chaosium or AH). In comparison the Glorantha digest has a few hundred people.

So, commonly known among the digest grognards is another thing altogether, and fan writing is something a company must weigh the pros and cons on in both general, and in specific cases. If a company is smart, it motivates and uses its core fan base to expand the appeal of the game. To do this is must listen to the core group, but it must also lend some ear to basic marketing and business dictates which sometimes conflict with fan wishes.

I'm not aware of any of these issues being the case with Issaries specifically, but here are some pros and cons that must be considered (there are more) with fan published material.

Pro:

Wider selection of products and flavours for the customer (mmmm....good) Allows core fans to express their ideas more easily Allows publishing of material the publisher might not ever get around to Allows more experimentation (LARP sourcebooks, yay!)

Con:

Can contradict 'official' material (which despite some digester's loathing of it, is still important to the majority of new gamers in the industry) Can cause crediting and intellectual property problems if ideas are similar to what the company publishes.
Can flood the market with lower quality products. (Causes both pricing and quality issues)
Can cause more work (less profit) trying to gather existing parts than to write something new.

Companies in the game industry go from the extremes of suing anyone mentioning their stuff to open-licensing. From my understanding Issaries will try to be more in the middle and try to get the best of both worlds. It will certainly require Issaries to pay more attention and devote more to the core customer base than it has in the past (I, for one, understand Greg's time constraints, but still wish he at least skimmed the digest). It also will mean that even if it does, then not everyone is going to be happy every time with every decision or change.

Cheers,

Eric Rowe
wizard_at_wizards-attic.com
www.wizards-attic.com