RE: GAG

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 12:41:00 +0100

> Generally accepted, when in fact the details have
> only been discussed in this debate to any depth?

What I "accept" depends on what style of game I'm running. I would merrily (ab)use the Soviet model for MGF games, for example, but would steer well clear of obvious humorous Sov analogies in a "serious" Glorantha game. From what little I know of "Life of Moonson" and MOB's stories, I might use elements from them, but I wouldn't expect "official" sources to conform to the model. At no point did I believe that the events portrayes in LoM were "Gloranthan Reality(TM)", any more than, say, "Rune Metal Jacket" was. I would be disappointed if the "official" version were as dull as it seems to be from what Martin has said (that is, that the One True Moonson appears out of nowhere, fully formed, with no mortal intervention). For one thing, it doesn't seem to fit in with anything else we know about Glorantha and the Lunars. Most divine happenings seem to require some form of HeroQuesting, and even when they don't, HQing can cause/change/stop them. Also, as has been said before, Teelo Norri was sacrificed to become the Red Goddess, so the sacrificing of the candidate to become Moonson seemed logical.

I'm sorry I can't back you up any more than this, guys, I love the Tales work, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it is "Generally Accepted Glorantha". I do, however, advocate the "don't shit where you eat" philosophy that Issaries seem to have ignored.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.