Re: Converting RQ3 to HW

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_ican.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 16:33:11 -0500

At 11:45 AM 5/11/00 -0700, TTrotsky wrote:

> Actually I agree with you that you should follow the spirit of the
>character, not the letter of the rules, although I don't see that as a reason
>to avoid conversion guidelines altogether. OTOH, to say that you *have* to
>start a new character, would, I suspect, be a seriously negative HW selling
>point for many existing Glorantha players and I personally don't see the need
>for it. Perhaps I haven't tried it enough to see the problems, though.

It was certainly my intention that people could convert their RQ characters via the descriptive method of character generation. Sure, the characters won't be exactly the same, and the game certainly won't feel the same as it would under RQ. But as long as you're willing to get past a literal translation of actual numbers or very specific spell effects from one system to the next, I think the process can be not only possible but fun.

Like I said at the California Gloranthacon, it's eminently possible, provided you're prepared to accept a slight upwards adjustment in your character's capabilities.

This is a price most players are willing to pay, I think.

I also hope that people feel free to generate HW narrator characters from RQ-era products (including fan *yay!* material) by mining the prose descriptions for their abilities. Or player characters for that matter, provided that your GM is willing to let you play Fazzur Wideread, Duke Raus, or whoever.

Take care >>> Robin