Trolls and Maps

From: Paul Anderson <pmanderson_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 13:35:37 PDT

Douglas Seay was looking for tribes with frequent troll encounters.

There are two neat ideas from LARPs which might combine to a useful background of this kind: Home of the Bold defined the Torkani as Darkness-worshippers; they would be natural troll-friends and their neighbors, the Dinacoli, the Bachad, the Tres, would have excessive numbers of Trolls wandering through.

Heroes of Wisdom has the Dinacoli secede from Jonstown to become part of the Yelmalion Far Point Confederation - a reasonable response to a Troll problem, but not to everyone's taste.

Another possibility is to use the Aranwyth, who are neighbors to the Battle Valley trolls - see Troll Pack and its reprint.

There are, AFAIK, four official maps of Dragon Pass, all of which disagree with each other: WB & RM, Dragon Pass [the other board game], the Glorantha Book, and KoS. The first two disagree largely on the exact course of the Stream and the dragonewt roads, and I am lucky to be able to use one of them as true [GM] geography. The third disagrees with both the others on the location of Wintertop and Tarsh with respect to Sartar.

I like Ian Thomson's map (http://home.primus.com.au/arkat/sartar.html) , and I am glad to see that he did transfer it when his site moved. But I think it is, as it appears to be, an in-game map, available from a Library or a Geo's. For this purpose it is desirable that it have (as it does) several minor inaccuracies: the Malani are rather too far north, Sartar includes Beast Valley and the west shore of the Marsh...

Paul MacLean Anderson
pmanderson_at_hotmail.com
"I'm not making this up, you know!"