Re: Core Fans

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:16:11 +0000

Graham J Robinson

> However, at the end of the day there is nothing particularly
> special about the fans who produced these publications.

Correct, but: They created a shared vision of Glorantha which has been adopted by many readers.

> They are the ones who had the interest in and time to get
> their stuff in print. The people who will keep Issaries in
> business are the ones whose time commitment will be limited
> to actually playing the game.

As long as the one man company Issaries Inc. will be able to produce a steady line of supplements. This does take creative input from freelancers who know what they are writing about, and who have experience to get their stuff in print.

> I have been playing in Glorantha for fifteen years, and it is
> somewhat galling to get treated as a newbie, and outsider and
> ignorant.

I guess that means you shared your vision of Glorantha with up to 100 people, and influenced theirs.

I find snippets of "Home of the Bold" in every other campaign note or webpage about Sartar. A lot more than the perhaps 200 people who played that freeform are familiar with details of this material.

Material from "How the West Was One" is firmly tied into practically everything written on Malkioni since the Genertela Box came out. (Even Arlaten the Sorcerer from Strangers in Prax...)

As for being an outsider - it is fairly inevitable. The digest is a community with up to a decade of shared ideas. The "regulars" have exchanged ideas and adopted other contributors' positions as their own, and agree on a surprising amount of material.

> Being told that something is generally accepted when only
> 100 'core fans' are aware of its existence is not on.

Right. However, printing the same text and/or distributing it over the internet will make it available to 10 to 100 times that number. And I found that e.g. stuff from Heroes of Wisdom was used - i.e. accepted - in a lot of campaigns of people I know were not in that freeform.