Hero War Adventures

From: RuneMaster.Greg <prax_at_chello.fr>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 03:47:34 +0200

I'm disappointed...

I've just read the two HW demo adventures "The Hound Tower" and "Sheeplless Nights" on Glorantha.com.
I'm surprised : OK, they are good to explain to new players the basic of the rules, but I don't think that they could be good to give them a good opinion about HW. I'll try to explain : What is the thing that make HW different ? The rules ? Yes, but every games has different rules. The world ? Yes, but it's the same that RQ's. The thing is in the name of the game : Hero.
These two adventures are about sheep and livestock problems and could be resolved by young people (childs ?). They are not "mythic". I've explained to a lot of people that HW is a marvellous game, that you play heros, that you can make great quest and... They are looking for lost cheeps !
I've read an adventure for HW in the french RPG magazine "Casus Belli", wich name is "Les armes d'Orlanth" (="Orlanth's Weapons") wich was far better and could be played even by newcomers in a day. I will soon make demo of HW in a RPG shop, and I don't think that I will use the sheep's adventure. They could be interresting in a campaign, not in a demo. For the demo, I'll use the casus's adventure wich I think is more epic, and the players will come back home thinking how they had saved their clan, discovered a world and a new game system, not just thinking about a game system and some livestock.

to summarize, we must make new players dream !

I know that I'm not writing english very well, and I'm sorry about this.

cheers,
Greg (not the Great One)
prax_at_chello.fr
http://pavis.free.fr/prax