RE: Story Arc & Why?

From: Douglas Seay <douglas.seay_at_marconi.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:41:26 -0400

I said
> >But what I don't understand is why Greg/Martin/Issaries would
> >care about this. I'd think that leaving out the details would be
> >better.

Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk> replied
> ahh, but the devil is in the detail! It might not matter to your
> average farmer in the fields (or the man on the Glamour omnibus), but if
> your characters are at the level where they can either try to engineer
> the RE's disappearance, or work to try and bring him back then you need
> to have a reasonably good idea of what might be going on "behind the
> scenes" so to speak. If the RE is just the Noble who persuades the
> priests to pronounce him the latest mask of the Ever Living Moonson then
> your job will be very different from if he is the unchanging, eternal
> demigod who is likely to appear fully-formed in some remote corner of
> the Empire....

I agree that the details aren't important until they become critical, I'm just saying that leaving the details to the local group makes more sense to me.

It seems to me that any group of PCs to get to the level of power to care about the details of bringing the RE back have a long history in Glorantha and are carrying lots of "baggage". This makes me think the GM is going to have to do lots of customization/adaptation to get things to work out just to keep things "logical" with what they've done so far. If Issaries requires too many details, the party_line vs. IMG issue becomes a problem that much sooner. Admittedly if a group gets that high level, they are most likely used to picking-n-chosing from the official sources, so this isn't a show stopper.

I just think that deferring this sort of detail lets the RMM/LoM crew can have it one way, the arkati-shaman can have it another, Martin Laurie can have blood in the streets, etc. We all need to agree on "the big picture" so future supplements can come out without stepping on too many toes. We need some details here and there for flavor and to try to keep a common community, but there is no need that every detail be set in stone.

Just leave the official line "the RE is gone, he ain't come back so far, and there is a huge power vacuum at the top of the LE", this giving the GMs all the wiggle room they need.

Obviously forget everything I've said if Issaries is planning on an adventure that revolves around this detail. I'm just talking about making details for the sake of details.