Celts

From: Hughes, John (NAT) <"Hughes,>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:02:42 +1000

Heys folks

Check out the new Issaries site! Marvel at the noo Runes! Wonder why some of the old ones went missing... Congrats to Nils and the team - a few bugs to fix but its a great site with lots of promise.

CELTIC ROMANCE
> David Dunham:
>
>It's easy to romanticize the Celts, 'cos in reality we don't actually know
that
>much about them, save classical accounts by the likes of Caesar & Diodorus
>Siculus, and the much later vernacular texts from Ireland & Wales, plus
what
>we can piece together from archeological evidence. That still leaves a lot
of
>gaps in our knowledge of their lives, especially in their religion and
social
>customs.

Hear, hear. The term 'celt' is itself a recent invention, and is used indiscriminately to link everything from twelth century BC Sythians to nineteenth century Irish. About as useful a term as 'black', 'white' or 'oriental'.

>new-age mystics with abysmal standards of scholarship. Ideological agendas
>tend to fill in the gap in our knowledge about the Celts.

Polite of David not to mention John and Kate Matthews by name - after all they have published stuff by one Greg Stafford, esq. 95% of the material published on the druids is a nineteenth century forgery, and 99% of the material published on Celtic shamanism is a twentieth century forgery (when moving in shamanic circles I'd probably say 'rediscovery', but from an academic/historical pov its the same thing.)

HERO WARS IN OZ Mil Sims will have Hero Wars boxes next week for $Oz 80 (assuming the dipping and diving of the dollar evens out). You can email Colin at sales_at_milsims.com.au

Cheers

John