Re: CA heroquests

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 02:22:47 +0100 (BST)

Chris Lemens, suggests for CA types:
> If you want a relevant
> close combat skill, I'd give them a feat of "disarm with bare hands"-a sort
> of hapkido trick.

I'm not wild about this, as it's acultural (Orlanthi martial arts?), and very much 'pushing' the Healer vow. My admittedly woeful m.a. knowledge suggests hapkido is a little like 'aikido with more owies', and if someone performed most aikido techniques on _me_, then claimed to practice total non-violence, I'd have a hoarse laugh or two for them (assuming I didn't have a broken neck or a constricted windpipe at this point).

This would fit a little better with Erissa (or Chalana of the North, to we unreconstructed God Learners), since she seems marginally less strict about 'defensive violence', and exists in a region where bare-hand m.a. are at least known (if not exactly common or much like hapkido).

> Another possibility would be the inverse of that horrible Humakti heroquest.
> (What was it called? It had something to do with crucifying a bunch of
> CA's.) The trick to winning the heroquest would be to go willingly to heal
> a rift in the community. Coming back from the dead would be minor problem
> to deal with afterwards, of course.

The Lead Cross HQ. Interesting idea. Very Xemela-like, actually. (Isn't Pb-X a Ralios thing? Maybe something to conjure with...)

> Another possibility would be the Arroin quest, in which the CA attempts to
> heal chaos and fails. I can't imagine why anyone would want to embark on
> it, but its there.

I'm not clear either, but I'd think there'd be some purpose to the myths, given that the (sub)cult actually still exists. Probably makes the Hill of Gold look like a cake-walk, mind you. (If it was somewhat like the Elmal/Yelmalio/High King Elf Great Darkness group of myths, I'd be unsurprised. "It was pretty grim, but we pulled through, somehow, with great sacrifice.") If one has already received a grave injury, self-identification with Arroin may be one way of being healed of it (or at least, not getting totally obliterated...)

> There is mention of the White Healer in
> Entekosiad on page 10 ("FaElsor and the Serpent"). The footnote equates her
> to Erissa of Dara Happan myth, which means the GroY is a good source, too.
> GRoY page 16 indicates that the White Lady (whom I take to be Erissa) tried,
> but failed, to heal Murharzarm when Entekos/Rebellus
> Terminus/Ernaldus/Orlanth killed him. GRoY page 44 says that Antirius
> (facile reading: Elmal) rescued the heart of Oslira and gives it out through
> the White Lady, whom I take to be Erissa. TFS page 61 indicates that the
> Red Emperor summoned the White Lady in person when Sheng's interference in
> ritual caused his illness and death.

Indeed, seems like 'the same' entity to me too, with all the usual caveats about such notions. I think one gets a lot of this 'layering' of mythology in Peloria, where similar figures lob up in each Cycle of myth, whether explicitly identified or not. The three of four 'versions'/precursors of Lodril are an especially clear example. Doubtless this is why Pelorians spout all this stuff about masks of the divine, recognising that the masks may change subtly or greatly, while the underlying ultimate reality is only knowable by great mystical insights. (So, is Torus 'really the same' as Lodril? Who knows, who cares. <g>)

Cheers,
Alex.