Re: sorcerous heroquest

From: Steve Barnes <ghidora_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 12:12:06 -0700

Or check out "The Wild" by David Zindell. In addition to being the third book in a mind-bending SF series, it features a guild of mathematician-pilots, who navigate hyperspace by means their mastery of chaos-theory.

Unlike the boring gray voids that might be found in other novels, "The Vild" is vibrant and colorful, full of fractals and other math-speak things. Many pages are spent describing journeys through fractal space, avoiding hazards, attempting to elude pursuers, etc.

>From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
>Subject: sorcerous heroquest.
>In a message dated 5/21/00 1:38:42PM, you write:

><< I am willing to be convinced otherwise, as soon as I first play in an
> entertaining sorcerous heroquest that fits the description given in HWNB.
>>

>The best example I can find of someone who might enjoy a sorcerous
heroquest
>is someone like Ian Stewart, author of 'Nature's Numbers', describing how
>exciting and fun pure mathematics is. Although I am not convinced of the
joys
>of calculus or set theory, perhaps a bunch of mathematicians could enjoy
it.
>It could be described as Mathematical Game Fun.
>frex:
>"The Quest for the Optimum AP Bid"
>
>Keith N

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #662