Prax Pak

From: Lemens, Chris <CLemens_at_exchange.webmd.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:52:44 -0400

As I said privately to Phillipe, I'd be happy to help. I have very good editing and formatting skills (from being editor in chief of my law journal), some HTML skills (probably less than others), and insufficient artistry to even tell the difference between modern sculpture and garbage waiting to be taken away ("Is there a plaque on it? Must be art.").

Runemaster.Greg asks:
"Will this work include the wastelands, the sun county, Pavis, the rubble, and so on ?

I think we ought to find out from the authors/owners of the existing publications (Pavis, Big Rubble, Sun County, etc.) whether they are willing to let us adapt their work to HeroWars. If so, I would think we would want to use a format that retains the intensive, localized geographic approach of those works. PraxPak would then become an over-arching description of Sacred Prax and the Wastes. I would think we would draw a lot from Drastic: Prax 1 and 2 (especially those maps, which I love). If I recall the Drastic copyright statement correctly, we would have a lot of permissions to obtain (which I am willing to work on if need be).

Runemaster.Greg also asks:
When this is done, if Issaries doesn't want to publish it, will we publish it by ourself ?

I am betting that Eric Rowe will have darn good advice if we show we are serious. He might know, for example, the price break points in print runs. It seems to me that we can do it all ourselves, apart from the actual printing and the distribution (with Eric hopefully accomplishing the latter). Finally, if printiing costs too much, I would bet money that Issaries would be willing to have all that polished material posted on its site for free download.

David Fiorito and Runemaster.Greg both volunteered to host collections of Prax materials. I'd suggest that they talk to eliminate overlap. Gregory seems to be willing to compile and host an index. David seems willing to host work-in-progress materials. This seems like a sensible allocation of work.

As much as I love purely collaborative efforts, it seems to me like someone ought to be coordinating the various efforts, at least to the degree of tracking who is working on what, when they will be done, if they are still doing it, and that sort of thing. (I don't want to dredge up hard feelings, but I think the following needs to be asked.) It also seems to me like one of the folks who have experience in fan publishing would be ideal for the role. Many of those folks are involved in Issaries official efforts, but I can think of at least a couple of folks who would be perfect, who were left out of the loop. Without naming names, some may have sworn off all such efforts in the future. I hope they would be willing to pitch in, though I can understand if they would wash their hands of the whole thing.

Chris Lemens