Re: Hero Wars

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 23:58:17 +0100 (BST)

Edward G McDonald:
> I do realise that this will be difficult for a company as
> small as Issaries Inc. (Rick, did I read that right "SOLE employee?).

You did, and it would be correct, to boot. (I've taken issue with those who've said that 'Issaries _is_ Greg', but it's certainly true that Issaries' payroll _is_ Greg...

> We know that Anaxial's Roster, She Guards Us, Thunder Rebels and Sartar
> Rising are in the pipeline

Yes... though I'd be cautious in making assumptions about how long a bit of pipe that is, short of specific assurenaces (as have been foerthcoming in some of the above cases, of course).

> and that other people are working on other supplements.

Oh?

> To build on this and ensure the long term viability and commercial success
> of Hero Wars, Hero Wars will need others to "step up to the plate" and
> submit proposals to Issaries for other supplements. In the Digest we read
> that there are people who want to do a supplement on the Grazers, others who
> want to "revive" Prax, etc. Well, they should go to Issaries and make their
> pitch! The more people do this, the more will get written and published
> and, hopefully, the more successful the game will be.

True. I just don't want people to imagine that the best solution from a Global Gloranthan Perspective is for all fannish qua fannish effort to fold its tent, and queue patiently at the Great Professional Mansion of Issaries. This is obviously a great thing to quite a significant point, but it seems to me very likely that Issaries won't be able to do _everything_ in the short term, and I'd rather see a few well-crafted 'key works' than a series of fumbled efforts to do Everyone' Pet Area All At Once. I'd like to fannish efforts go on too, because for one think, the more the merrier, for another, they may well be a lot speedier down the track than Issaries, and not least, for well-developed area the choice is practically between _new_ fannish material, and 'official' retreads.

Cheers,
Alex.