Re: Imprisonment of Orlanth

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:50:00 +0100

> Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 08:11:03 +0100
> From: Neil Smith <neil_at_wimp.freeuk.com>
> Subject: Imprisonment of Orlanth
>
> I was re-reading KoS the other day, and it got me thinking about the
> imprisonment of Orlanth. He was imprisoned from 1621 (fall of
> Whitewall) to 1624 (battle of Milran).
- -..

I always thought of that as a bit of Lunar propaganda. The Lunars, because of their Dara Happan traditions, assume that cities are important for ALL gods. This is a mistake, in the case of barbarians and nomads. To a Dara Happan, the fall of the last city that freely worships Orlanth is a key event, implying defeat of the god itself. But to Orlanthi, it is no more significant than a lost field battle. In the hills and mountains, everyone knows that Orlanth is free...