Prax Revisited

From: Ian Thomson <arkat_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 21:37:25 +1000

Inspired to respond by Chris Ward's mail, which grabbed my interest:

I agree that concentrating on the Wastes is an excellent idea, although probably a full fifth of the publication could outline the situation in Prax.

With the new Old Pavis material recently completed and that in progress I looked to expand on the many things described only in part. Thus, certain things described in the Rubble in only 1-3 short paragraphs have become entire pieces. With prax there are many articles of decent size already, and also important foci with no material - Daily life in the Wastes, and detailed descriptions of the south coast for instance. (If I'm wrong in this, it just proves we should get all the material together.)

What I would like to see is a definitive guide to the tribes of Prax and the Wastes - their origins, customs and religions, and relations with neighbours (east and west). Additionally I'd be very interested with information on the magical and mundane flora and fauna. And of course there are the bizarre and unusual places, and the unique individuals. ToRM Prax 1+2, and Drastic: Prax have some excellent stuff that should be capitalised on.

Perhaps the original lay out of Griffin Mountain would be a good starting point. Obviously not the same, but it read well to me, and could be a good backdrop when planning another descriptive work on an entire region, which is in effect what is being mooted. Of course, Prax being different would generate different subsections within the publication.

When working with already existing material (for the new Old Pavis stuff I was proud to latch onto some of the great ideas from Codex 1 and do a bit of a collaboration with Martin Crim for instance) they don't have to be repeated verbatim, it may often be possible to summarise and pull out the most interesting essence of the original ideas.

I certainly would like to see a co-ordinator of the Prax material to arise, someone who can oversee the project. I think a 'Captain' is needed who can make sure that work isn't being repeated, put people in touch with each other, set objectives. For example, someone needs to get out Griffin Mountain (or some other inspiring reference) and all the Prax material and plan an index of sections. And what if people disagree!!! Heaven forbid!! Someone (preferably someone with good diplomatic skills as much as editorial) needs to adjudicate, and when the differences are irreconcilable needs to make a choice and explain why they did so. Perhaps 2 or 3 people
(preferably who already communicate well with each other) could fill the
position? One tactic I found useful when encountering differences of opinion was to leave that section of the piece open to interpretation!

Once a solid framework is suggested (and probably tempered by discussion) and old articles and needed articles listed, it would then be much easier
(I imagine) to talk to Greg and other people close to the helm of official
Glorantha, than it would be with a lot of gung-ho ideas and enthusiasm. It would certainly be a shame to go to all this trouble only to be gregged severely, and I think if Greg was approached he would be only too pleased to have some people putting together a quality "Prax and the Wastes" pack to support the new game. Certainly it would be much better if one or two people are discussing things with him with a clear focus than a whole bunch of people hassling him with multi-variant and possibly contradictory points.

I wasn't realistic with my own objectives and if numerous folk hadn't stood up to help when I came crashing down then I don't know what I would have done. So also, beware! (Hopefully I have now learned from these mistakes!) If I haven't already said it, I'd love to see a Prax book. And yes, in this information age publishing is far less expensive than you might think even if Issaries can't afford to snap it up.

I think I'm rambling on, time to shut up....
(yay Prax!) :)

PS - I know nothing about anything and if this mail suggests otherwise please forgive me