collecting old Prax

From: Ian Thomson <arkat_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:08:35 +1000

Eric:
>Speaking from the purely business side of things. It actually doesn't make
>sense. It really turns out that it is much faster and less expensive to
>just write new material than to translate/merge/scrape together/gather
>existing material.

ah yes, but such a shame tho.

I can believe this is true in the 'real world', but in my experience the wealth of pre-existing material was crucial to my own efforts, at the least as inspiration.
I suppose that the existence of Glorantha fans may counteract this economic rationalism by doing all the leg work involved in getting the old material together into sensible groupings.

Actually, thinking about it, I imagine that most writers on glorantha who are also fans might find it easier and quicker to work with old material than to start completely from the drawing board. An old addage of mine is 'try not to reinvent the wheel' for instance. I was reading John Hughes' interesting article on inventing Glorantha (on Nick Brooke's website) and it points out several Gloranthan idiosyncracies that need to be regarded.
A brand new writer would have to invent a whole background ecology, society, mythology and history. Much of this at least is already available for Prax.

It was certainly a labour of many hours researching as much on Old Pavis via official and semi-official sources I have to admit. Prax having a central co-ordination of information should make this much easier.