Re: publishing Prax; Myth?

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:55:13 -0700

Alex Ferguson

> > I do not see how republishing Prax hurts anyone.
>
>You mean if it gets done using up _no_ resources that would otherwise
>be used to publish other material? In particular, Issaries resources,

Assuming there is absolutely zero cost to Issaries to edit and layout the book, printers still have the annoying habit of wanting their money up front. So a PraxPak could interfere with other projects. Another Issaries cost (in effort even if not an ad blitz) is marketing. This too would be diverted from other projects.

If it's a request to scan and reprint old material (like Moon Design is doing), things might be different. But I imagine this would have to be a complete proposal -- not just "I can edit" but "We are ready to scan, edit, proofread, layout, publish, and distribute."

BTW, my personal opinion is that the Prax material is relatively easily available (since Avalon Hill reprinted most of it already, and there are some fan reprints already). I'd rather see Issaries devote that up-front printer money to something new.

This being the case, I think writing a lot of *new* Prax material would be the best way to get Prax in print. You'd probably be able to excerpt much of the old material as sidebars or chapters in the new work. A new work would probably sell better, too.

Malcolm Serabian wrote:

>They have decided they want to attempt a hero quest to counter the
>powers of the amulet. Great I thought, thinking like Orlanthi! Then I
>thought hmmm. I don't know of a myth that will fit this type of quest.

How about one of the myths where Orlanth steals something?

An Issaries quest that forces Blackmor to trade the treasure for something else?

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein