"Churning material"

From: Oliver Bernuetz <oliver_bernuetz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 11:51:00 CDT

Alex said :

>But 'churning' material is not a good long-term strategy. In >extremis
>people will just stop buying it, and much short of that, it >uses up
>'goodwill'. ("I just paid for _another_ KL cult writeup!") >I refer you
>to Nick's reported retailer comments about 'who' is >buying HW; if the
>people rushing to buy HW are largely 'old hands', >then selling them the
>same old stuff is not in _anyone's_ interests.

My disagreement with this point is that anything old that is redone for HW IS a new product. I don't have the time to convert stuff from RQ3 to HW and I'll bet a lot of other people don't either. At the very minimum I would be very interested in a sourcebook (keywords, cults, etc.) for Prax, Pavis or the Wastes whether it incorporates old material or not. For that matter I'd like to see KL redone for HW too, I'll bet it will be quite different.

No offense to Rick and crew but a reprint of old RQ3 materials doesn't interest me because it isn't HW, it's RQ3 and the conversion between the two is a heck of a lot of work. (I know because I'm in the process of converting Balazar into HW for my own campaign, and it ain't that easy!)

Bring on the new stuff by all means but why not convert old materials to HW?   I'll buy it (my wife will hate me but maybe I'll buy less CDs to appease her). I'm not saying scenarios necessarily (but I'd buy those too) but source material by all means. (That'll let you run that copy of Griffin Mountain you're planning on buying in HW too).

By all means though don't distract the people doing the new stuff and don't pester or harrass Greg but all that old stuff will be so different done up for HW and will be completely new for newbies as well. Maybe it'll all have to be published like the RQ3 reprints Rick is doing but what's wrong with that? As long as it doesn't grossly contradict Greg's vision, why not?

Beside's there's not that much to churn. Ignore the scenarios and stick to background and source stuff and there's probably the four books Rick is planning on.

This is all coming from someone who was sure a month ago that I would NOT be switching to HW. But the reading the books have made me see the light!

Oliver the Converted (remember that we're the worse kind!) http://www.geocities.com/berneutz