Praxpak and other Fannish Works

From: Dr Mark Galeotti <m.galeotti_at_his.keele.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 15:29:20 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Comrades!

Whatever the rights and wrongs of whether Issaries 'should' be doing it (and here I am sadly sitting on the fence: Prax is a wonderfully rich environment with which to woo new players, but re-releases, however framed, are not as sexy as all-new), they're not going to produce a Praxpak (much less the multi-volume cycle some people are now talking about) in the foreseeable future. So, fan publication is the only way it will appear. Fortunately, there's an inspiring amount of enthusiasm on the list. Also, as publications and websites show, there is also the ability to put together attractive, readable and professional material, proving that 'fannish' need only mean amateur in the best sense of the word.

Having been involved in editing and publishing (though not in the gaming field), let me just make a few observations as regards the idea of publishing a hard-copy volume (as opposed to the much easier web-version). I hope no one feels I am pontificating from on high, much less trying to stifle any of that enthusiasm, but I know from my own experience how important it is to build on the firmest of foundations.

  1. Aim at the first instance on a single book. Sure, this may take off, there could be a cycle of Praxbooks and, who knows, perhaps the Unauthorised Guide to the Red Lunar Empire, Grazepak, whatever. But to make an impact on the market, aim at a single, self-contained work and do it well.
  2. Establish the basis on which it is to be published. Maybe an imprint, Moon Design or an equivalent. And do it with the blessing of Issaries, even if it is clearly noted that this is unofficial and may be contradicted by official Issaries canon. This might well involve a contract with Issaries offering a share of the profits if it takes off. In other words, the fans take the risk, and the first cut of any profit, but should it bring in four figures, then Issaries are due a cut for their IPR.
  3. After all, Issaries is - despite everything - on our side. We may squabble about exactly *which* Glorantha we are promoting, but we all gain from a vibrant and expanding base of players. And while fans can keep the flame burning, any major expansion will depend on Issaries. Fan publications can thus support Issaries' own output without, as Alex Ferguson put it (25 May), tying up a wave of books on re-exploration (OK, he said 'rehash', but it's been made clear that this would be more than just a cut-and-paste collation of CoP, etc). Rick Meints suggested (24 May) that 6 publications a year is the bare minimum to keep the HW momentum going as 12 ideal. From a marketing point of view, I agree completely - but I'd be
    (very pleasantly) surprised if Issaries could sustain that
    sort of a production rate. So such fannish publications help make up the numbers.
  4. There shouldn't be any expectation that Issaries will do anything to promote or distribute the product. It may well do so, even if only as a link on their website, but serious sales should not depend on it. Get an ISBN
    (the first one is free!) so that shops have something to
    order it by and make sure that as well as the fun stuff
    (writing, etc), someone is going to handle marketing, even
    if only to email distributors and shops.
  5. Go for the worst-case estimate on time the project will take. Then double it. You may have to do the same with costs.
  6. Editing a collaborative venture, especially when it is not produced by suitably-paid authors who can just be told 'I pay the money, I own your text', *can* be exciting and life-affirming. More often it is time-consuming, rancorous and deeply political. Make sure your editor has the authority the job needs, as well as the technical ability, and support him/her!

I hope all this doesn't sound too negative - it's just always worth considering worst cases before embarking on a major project. I think the Praxpak a wonderful idea, and another excellent example of just how motivated and adventurous Glorantha's explorers are, and I wish you all the very best of luck!

Mark

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #679