Re : War, Slavery, Rape, and Thed

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:02:21 -0400 (EDT)

>In Glorantha, rape is usually shunned because it is associated with Thed,
>and thus a chaotic act. Does this hold true for rapes during warfare, or
>the rape of slaves? If not, how do Gloranthans rationalize the difference?
> And is this subject something that you address during a game?

I think many Gloranthans would simply define rape differently. They simply would not think of the rape of slaves as being rape at all. Rape during warfare might be seen as legitimate punishment, or 'spoils of war' by some cultures. It's probably only seen as a crime where a pre-existing social relationship or code of expected behaviour is being violated, that is what is chaotic - not the act itself. It would also be chaotic if taken to excess in the form of an obsession because it might make the person less capable of living up to their responsibilities.

This isn't realy something I would address directly in a game as a concious decision. It might be refered to obliquely in a kind of 'horrors of war' sort of way, and to illustrate the differences in moral philosophy between modern people and many ancient cultures. There are other ways to do this that most players and GMs are likely to find less distastefull. On the other hand I see no reason to flinch from the subject if it becomes relevent.

Simon Hibbs