More Rape

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:32:18 +0100

In message <200006010155.SAA20229_at_chaosium.com>, The Glorantha Digest <owner-glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com> writes
>For example, it seems to me that the Heortlings would have a fairly =
>negative view, both due to the Ragnaglar/Thed factor (and note the story =
>of the lost brother thrown into the "Sex Pit" in KoS- clearly a =
>cautionary tale)

I've always assumed that the brother thrown into the Sex Pit *was* Ragnaglar.

> and in that it is a violation of the first law- "No one =
>can make you do anything you don't want to."

Oh, my that's a very, very clever point!

>Still, the rape of =
>captives or thralls is probably seen as being less serious than that of =
>a free Heortling woman. Still, the Babeesteri and Vingans probably have =
>their own standards.

And their own lynching mobs and blunt knives to castrate offenders with. In my Glorantha, at least, rape is not an option for the Heortlings. Killing their enemies is tolerated (even women and children) but rape is a strict taboo.

>On the other hand, my guess is that in Solar cultures, rape is seen as =
>it usually was in western law until recently- as a property crime =
>against the father, husband, or whichever patriarch of the family =
>involved.

And that's another very good point. Yes! (Blatant violation of rule one twice in a post.)