Do Ut Des

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:24:30 +0100

Andrew mistranslates a Latin tag:

> The key idea here is "I do so that You will give."

"Do ut des" means "I *give* so that You will give." (Bloody Latin irregular verbs...)

The worshipper gives a sacrifice to the God; the god is meant to intervene on behalf of the worshipper. No sacrifice, no obligation. What you *do* has less to do with it (although when you're actually in the act of sacrificing it's vital to do everything perfectly) -- it's what you *give* the deity that's important.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick