Arkat

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 15:19:37 +1200

David Blizzard:

>How does this separation of the otherworlds affect who Arkat
>was now?

Since nobody has a clear idea of who Arkat was, the recent revelation of "separate" heroplanes doesn't really affect our knowledge about him.

>Originally part of his secret was basically as follows: While
>in the west he went heroquesting. He then joined Humakt and
>learned how to "forge his own path" in the otherworlds because
>he noticed certain common grounds where he could diverge off
>into another heroquest he had already been on. Now we find
>that the Westerners have an entirely different "Other Side"
>than the theists.

Which makes Arkat's achievement in spotting the commonalities even more impressive IMO.

>So, does this mean that there are simliar areas in both the
>Sorcery Planes & the God World?

Probably. There are already similar areas in the God and Spirit planes (from the Red Moon into Jakaleel's realm and the Eternal Battle). But I think places like these were already known to the Malkioni before Arkat (i.e. moving from the Citadel of Thought through the Perilous Gates to reach the Pendali Cannibal Lands).

What I think Arkat realized was that correspondences could be made between the realms of pagan mythology and the Malkioni realms and all that was needed to go from A to B was a change in view.

>Now Arkat seems to have been a sorceror (Knight of Hrestol), Theist
>(Humakti) and Mystic (his illumination). Did he have any animist
>training? The closest I can see is some from his being a troll,
>although this seems to have been mostly Theist.

Trolls are basically animist according to Troll Gods:

         "Shamanism is the natural form of religion of trolls.  Even
         their greatest deity, Kyger Litor, is no more than a
         glorified ancestral cult.  As a result, the trolls tend to
         view all magical worlds shamanically - the gods are seen
         as big spirits, some supremely large, but still spirits."
                                 Troll Cults book p78.