Big God Secrets

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 15:54:40 +0100 (BST)

Uncrossposted, since this isn't a very rulesy answer (and I have no idea what purpose the 'HeroWars_at_egroups.com' list serves...).

Michael Cule:
> The book says 'you learn the secret, you become one with the god and
> vanish' but I don't think that's what it means exactly. What I think it
> means is 'you learn the secret, you use the secret successfully, you
> become one with the god and vanish'. Reasons I think this are twofold.

I agree, sort of, though for most purposes the distinction between 'learn' and 'use' for such matters is bordering on the meaningless.

> Secondly, the fact that the Secret can be abused (the book only mentions
> on p167 serious consequences when someone fails in their attempt to
> overwhelm the god: shouldn't there be serious consequences when someone
> succeeds too. Have there been successful usurpations recorded? When
> exactly?) means to me that it doesn't totally overwhelm the person
> learning it and they can partially or temporarily become the god.

Methinks so. That Nasty Business With Lokamayadon would be an instance of, if not precisely that, then something fairly closely related. If you're entirely successful though, it's a bit like the old saw about treason never prospering...

> Remember if KoS when Argrath is referred to by one of the epithets of
> Orlanth?

And vice-versa, perhaps more to the point...

Cheers,
Alex.