Re: Tarumath and Humakt

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_hem.utfors.se>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:56:25 +0200

Peter being strange again:

>>Tarumath? Who he?
>
>High Umath as worshipped by the Talastari.

The AFAIK correct answer from David C:

> The mystic Storm.

Care to elaborate, Peter? ;-)

Simon:

>Humakt went so far as to sever all ties of kinship with
>his family in order that he alone would be responsible for his
>acts. I do not agree with some other posters that he severed his
>kinship ties so that he would not be blamed for Oralnth's slaying
>of Yelm, though this may be a common belief even among Gloranthans.

In fact the first version you mention dates no further back than KoS. The only published version previous to that is that he did it because he was pissed off at Orlanth for having Eurmal steal Death from him. Which might be glorified as the second version you give...

I think KoS also introduced the idea of Eurmal being the first murderer. Previously, he only goaded Humakt into trying the new power out.

Oh, and in KoS Eurmal just sort of finds Death lying around. The older story is that [the Darkness deity later known as Vivamort] was guarding it, so Eurmal had to go get Humakt as muscle.

>there is no afterlife for things annihilated by chaos

Well, not for something rubbed out by the entropy of primal chaos, no. Just getting offed by someone with a slight chaotic taint isn't _that_ serious.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg