Re: The orthopraxy thing

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 13:43:01 -0500

> From: "Thomas McVey" <tmcvey_at_sric.sri.com>
> Subject: Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #695
>> And this reminds me of another important issue.  In orthodoxy systems,
>> it is important to define the only true form of a belief.  Thus in early
>> Christianity, there is a lot of debate about exactly who Christ was and what
>> his relationship to God was.  Each stage of this debate is accompanied by
>> much anger villification of the other side, and is really what lead to the
>> development of the concept of heresy, namely an incorrect belief about a
>> religious issue.

> Well, that came out of Xtainity's need to unify itself in the face of
> persecution,
> and to weed out the weirdos from the church who were giving the authorities
> an
> excuse to persecute the church.
> (Supposedly there were 50-odd versions of the Gospel at one stage,
> including the very strange and disturbing Gospel of St. Thomas. But that's
> another
> matter.)

    Not really. The debate over gnosticism isn't really correlated to any of the major periods of persecution (apart from the brief persecution at the start of the 2nd Century). A lot of the Christological debates take place after Constantine legalized Christianity. I'm not aware of any evidence that suggests these debates are prompted by persecution. They do lead to persecution, however, as the losing side normally gets the short end of the stick.

>> They seem to have been very comfortable telling
>> contradictory stories to explain the same thing, because in an orthopractic
>> system, it really doesn't make too much difference, unless it leads to a
>> violation of orthopraxis. This is why the Egyptians ultimately couldn't
>> accept Akhenaton's religious system, because it meant putting an end to long
>> established religious rituals.

> Well, that, and the fact that Aktenaten's response to requests from his
> generals like:
> "We're getting our butt kicked by the Hittites. Send more troops"
> was to tell them "Don't worry about it, Aten's bounty is plentiful, and oh
> look,
> just to cheer you up, here's a nice little hymn to Aten I wrote."
>
> The Egyptians may just have decided they hated being ruled by a fecking hippy.

    Well, it's certainly not the only reason his system failed. But it was the priests who were his biggest enemies, not the military.

>>> I can't accept this, I'm afraid. I define hipocrisy as a mismatch between
>>> what you think and what you do. I think it is quite possible to manifest
>>> virtues you don't believe in (equally I think it possible to not manifest
>>> virtues which you do).
>>
>> Hypocrisy implies an intent to deceive.  A worshipper would only be
>> hypocritical if he claimed that he loved the god when he didn't (since the
>> issue of existence isn't really relevant in Glorantha).

> Tell that to the Brithini.

    Yes, but the Brithini are much closer to an orthodoxy system, having been modelled essentially on the medieval Catholic church. Throughout this debate, I've tried to keep the focus on the Orlanthi, who operate very differently from the Brithini.

>> Perhaps in
>> Gloranthan terms one could be a hypocrite if one claimed to adhere to a
>> virtue such as honor or generousity but then failed to demonstrate that
>> virtue, but that's a question of practice, not belief.

> Well, an alternative view might be to view the Gloranthan religions as being
> more like RW
> political parties. Yer lay members are the voters, yer initiates are the party
> activists
> and low-level office holders, and the devotees who are the equivalent of yer
> mayors and
> congresspeople and whatnot.
>
> You might easily have an Orlanthi priest who believes in the existence of
> Orlanth, but who
> believes that long-term, the Orlanthi will lose. Like, say, Faltikus the Good
> in Pavis.
> Or a lunar who, while convinced of the righteousness of the Lunar Way, just
> can't stand
> that they allow chaotic creatures to live, and believes that this will lead to
> the
> downfall of the lunars.
>
> This is in the same way as a politician might believe that the "other side"
> might triumph
> in the next election or in the long-term. Or in the same way as some Soviet
> apparatchiks
> (or even some western politicians) doubted the long-term viability of their
> own side
> during the Cold War. Or a political activist who believed sincerely in an idea
> in their
> youth, but now is not so sure the other side isn't right. Similarly, you could
> have a
> Gloranthan who secretly doubts that their god is more right than another god.
> Or was
> enthusiastic about killing chaos in their youth, but now is more circumpsect
> (like Oddi
> the Keen).

    I like this way of looking at it. It's another useful way of thinking about it.

> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
> Subject: Re: Orthopraxy, yet again
>
> Andrew Larsen:

>> Hypocrisy implies an intent to deceive.  A worshipper would only be
>> hypocritical if he claimed that he loved the god when he didn't (since the
>> issue of existence isn't really relevant in Glorantha).  Perhaps in
>> Gloranthan terms one could be a hypocrite if one claimed to adhere to a
>> virtue such as honor or generousity but then failed to demonstrate that
>> virtue, but that's a question of practice, not belief.  The person would
>> have to commit an act which would violate the god's laws.  So it really
>> ceases to be an issue of hypocrisy as most people would define it and
>> becomes a question of crime.

> This whole distinction seems to rest on having a mind-bogglingly
> wide definition of 'practice', and an exceedingly narrow one of
> 'belief' -- and then touting those as the principal means of
> systematising religion, aside from all other considerations. (And
> then concluding that Glorantha does it wrong, as it doesn't fit
> such a scheme neatly enough, seems to be the punchline.)

    Orthodoxy and orthopraxy are not the only ways of classifying religion. But it is one valid set of oppositional concepts that all act to categorize religion. All RW religions that I know of fall into one of those two categories. They aren't hard and fast systems, and most religions have some elements of the other category. For example, in Christianity, there has periodically been a lot of debate over the correct form of certain rituals, particularly the Eucharist. But despite that, modern Christianity is firmly in the Orthodoxy category, just as surely as ancient paganism is firmly Orthopraxic.

    The whole reason that I brought up this point in the first place was to demonstrate that there is a completely different way to think about Orlanthi religion than by focusing on the question of belief, which is certainly far less important than practice.

Andrew E. Larsen