Pharaoh == Harshax?

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:53:31 +0100

I was looking through GLORANTHA: Introduction to the Hero Wars, noting all sorts of interesting stuff as well as a really terrible standard for design and proof reading, when I came across the following on p 134:

'the beloved Pharaoh, Belintar of the Harshax'.

What? I mean what-the-fuck? Is this the first time we've seen this? I don't recall seeing this before.

The following interpretations spring to mind.

  1. The Harshaxi of the Fourth Age used one of the titles of the Third Age ruler to cement their authority as later rulers used the family name Caesar millennia after the last of the Julian line died.
  2. The rumours are true and Pharaoh was a time traveller coming back from the Fourth Age.
  3. Circularly, both 1 and 2.
  4. Something else.

Wonder what other little bombs are awaiting further inspection.....