Re: Pharaohs in the Mist; KoDP

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:19:48 -0700

Alex Ferguson answered me

> > Perhaps the Harshax of KoS *is* the Pharaoh, come back. (This is
> > alluded to in the drafts of Belintar's Book I've seen -- he expects
> > to be gone for a while and is writing to his future self, if I recall
> > correctly.)
>
> My recollection is wobbling a bit too, but isn't this part of his
> _normal_ reincarnation routine? Sort of a case of, "If you are
> reading this, you may already have won the Tournament of Luck
> and Death! Congratulations! Open the flyleaf to discover your
> prize-draw numbers."

I'd always thought the Luck & Death was more of a brain transplant (without the brain). The implication in BB is that there would be a significant delay before he came back -- and that he had some knowledge of what JarEel would do.

> If I'm wrong, there's an excellent book by one G. Wolfe with very
> much that device, so perhaps this post will not have been entirely
> in vain...

The sequel (Soldier of Arete) is out, and there may be more coming...

Andreas Gustafsson wondered

> All those drafts! How many drafts are there that Greg has produced? Harmast
> Saga, Belintar's Book and Arkat Saga etc. Will they ever be printed so that
> they will be more than sources for initiated mumblings?

Sorry, didn't mean to be flaunting superior (if half-remembered) knowledge. Don't forget that these are drafts -- if Greg was completely happy with them, they'd be printed. Anyway, my point was mostly to bring up another possibility, without giving great credit to myself for having thought of it.

> Where have people seen all those drafts? Are Greg handing them out at
> conventions? Is this the punishment I get for not having money enough for
> Tentacles... ;)

How I saw Belintar's Book is a long story. As for Harmast's Saga, it's available to GTA members of sufficient devotion. (Still a financial problem, I realize.)

Andrew Larsen

> Are the myths in KoDP considered offical? Great game, by the way.

It's a licensed Hero Wars product. I consider its myths official, and Greg certainly liked them at the time they were written (this doesn't mean they won't be Gregged, of course).

On the other hand, nobody involved in creating the game thinks it's a totally accurate history of the settling of Dragon Pass. Certain events are accelerated to enhance game play. But it is accurate for giving the sense of the recolonization era, and accurately portrays Heortling clans.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein