Dwarf keywords

From: richc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:01:31 +0100

Dwarf occupations -
Peter Metcalfe:

<< >There are no occupation keywords and no magic keywords as the abilities covered by these headings in other societies are here determined by the caste.
I think all dwarves have an occupation which they perform to the near exclusion of everything else, even if it is something like polish brass 1w6. >>

Trotsky:
<<Well, they do get a range of lesser abilities as well, but Peter is essentially right - they get one very narrowly defined ability, directly relating to their designated function, at a stonkingly high level (and no improvisation allowed, IIRC).>>

Agree with this. My view was that they shouldn't have an occupation KEYWORD but a single occupation skill which covers all of the aspects of their narrowly-defined job. This is what I was refering to with the "Work tirelessly at [occupation]" skills.

Grimoires -

they could be got rid of for castes other than Silver but where does that leave "Read Iron Dwarf Grimoire" in the Narrator's Book?

Whatever happens I want to have a Dwarf Navigation Manual which embodies their acquisition of the Open Seas Ritual. This is touted as the great success by the Gemborg Openhandists, though their opponents tend to claim that the secret could have been stolen from the humans. Sadly the truth is that the dwarfs could probably have learned the ritual just by asking but they were too suspicious to try.

Openhandism and its opposite -

Wasn't sure about whether Closehandism exists as a separate viewpoint from a generalised conservative orthodoxy. I thought an orthodoxy Dwarf would be opposed to Openhandism and all the other -isms alike. The exact form taken by the orthodoxy in a particular city would be determined by the most influential heresy locally.

Richard Crawley

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #706