Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #705

From: Simon Bray <simonbray_at_cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:47:27 +0100

Hi all,

 Having illustrated for Issaries, there are a few factors that need to taken into consideration regarding the quality of the work.

  1. The time given to produce the pieces. It is often at very short notices.I am also a nurse working 60-70 hrs a week, a father - when do you get time.
  2. The nature of the pieces to be drawn - all my stuff was weird stuff - new deamon types, Kralorelan Bridges, One god in five forms, Giant rats. All of which were hard to add the Gloranthan feel to.
  3. The public view of Glorantha? Greg's view of Glorantha? Who the hell know which is which, what is what? Everyone has a different opinion becasue their are so many styles of writing, imagery etc. What do Praxians look like? Look at some of the interpretations - Gene Day, Dan Barker, Myself.
  4. Payment - if you pay peanuts.......
  5. Critics - Gloranthan writing/art has more critics than contributors, and that is saying something.
  6. Media - I personally paint in oils on large canvasses, and yet I get comissioned to do monotone ink drawings, with not greyscale, no dithering, nothing. You have no idea how hard a tranisition that is until you try it. I would love to see full colour plates of Gloranthan imagery plastered across the pages (not GW style!), just like 7th Sea has, but what are the chances?

Cheers Simon Bray