Trollslayers

From: richc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:21:30 +0100

Clay (Mostali) Luther on Timothy (Demi-?) Byrd:

> Do Gloranthan Dwarves ever become Trollslayers, ala Warhammer?
> > (Weirdly enough, before the AH publications, I thought of Glorantha as
> a pretty clean place - Gloranthan chaos cleaner than Warhammer chaos,
> etc.)

I wouldn't think so, at least not exactly following the Warhammer Trollslayer/Giantslayer paradigm. Possibly, a Gloranthan Mostali could malfunction to such an extent that you could play it like a Warhammer Trollslayer, but I just don't see Trollslayers-basically a self-choosen, suicidal caste in Warhammer-appearing in any great numbers in Glorantha.

I'm not familiar with the Warhammer system or background but going on Clay's description I would say:

Dwarfs are created with specific tasks in mind. If a dwarf city decided that it needed a group of killing machines it could knock some up in the appropriate vessel and train them accordingly. They would be Iron Caste and kept for particularly dire emergencies.

By analogy IMG Gemborg maintains a programme to produce weed gobblers to keep down vegetation intruding ffom the rich forests of Caladraland. These are used with care as they tend to go somewhat berserk when released into such a target-rich environment.

Richard Crawley