Cat Behavior & Hunting

From: JeffJErwin_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:56:13 EDT

Cats are individualists/one-person or small family pets as they are domesticated in our society. However, cats can and do exhibit social behavior (as my old house had a huge batch of catnip behind it, and the local cats would get stoned (together) there, at least shows)-- studies of barnyard cats show cooperation in hunting, raising of young and much less territoriality than among house cats. Basically alynxes would be not so much house but farm cats. Farm cats, of course, are semi-feral, and this behavior is much more common amongst feral cats.
Hunting leopards were used by the Egyptians, actually (I seem to recall) as chasers (like greyhounds)-- to tire the prey. Cats do share kills with "family" and something like this-- or a system where the cats use their skills as "pointers" [most cat owners have seen their cat freeze and stare] and the hunter kills the game, sharing it with his or her companion would be realistic.
Yinkin shows many more characteristics of the early, individualistic teenage Orlanth/Odayla-- going out on his own, rather than the later king. The importance of alynxes might lie in their role in pre-Initiate boyhood. This does point up the likelyhood of the alynx and Odayla initiate teams being individual hunters, not in groups, so no really big game, unless the alynx is used to "point" as before. I guess Yinkin must have told Odayla where the Sky Bear was going and possibly tricked him, but it is dubious if he got into the battle.
- --Jeff Erwin