Huraya (Hurray!)

From: JeffJErwin_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:48:06 EDT

Xavier Spinat writes:

<< The second approach I have is that Huraya is the secret daughter of Ernalda and the "not-so-legendary-faithful" Heler. I mean, it happened one day, Orlanth had been away from his stead for quite long, and Heler was keeping safe his king's village, his king's people and his king's wife... well, those things do happened. The daughter was abandonned because Orlanth saw her as the constant reminding of Heler's treachery (I guess he understood what happened, he's not that stupid). So the child was banished. But with time, Ernalda convinced Orlanth to change his mind and Heler never failed again. So eventually, Orlanth managed to save Huraya and take in her legitimate family. I like this story because it makes mist the daughter of earth and rain, something like the morning dew. The third approach I imagined is that Heler was so very faithful to Orlanth that one night, he managed to take Ernalda's place and he spent the night with his king. Once again, Huraya was the result of this unlikely one-night affair. And once again, such an offspring couldn't be kept in plain view. She was abandonned, and later Orlanth eventually decided to take her back where she rightfully belonged under a false pretend ("She's just another girl I saved, she's got nothig left in the world, let's be generous and offer her a home,...") >>

I believe Orlanth wasn't around enough and Ernalda was cold at night, since it was after Yelm went to hell. It used to be that the Earth tribe could pick their men, and she went ahead and got someone to warm her bed. After he came back one time, Orlanth noticed the mud being tracked everywhere. (And the new baby)
Then he started shouting. After the wind settled down, Ernalda explained the problem. After that it was decided that the wife needed to ask permission, if the husband was going to be away a while... Heler explained that he was trying to be Ernalda's friend, as he was Orlanth's friend (well...) Spring, of course, is the daughter of wind, sun, rain and life, and women know she was made by Earth magics from parts of many of Earth's men. Jeff E