Re: Demons and Daemons

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:49:12 EDT

Julian Lord:

<< > Is demon a specific name or just any kind of monster that fits in the
 > general class of "evil creature from the underworld"?

 There is probably a distinction between daemons and demons. These last would be
 your "evil creatures from the underworld".>>

    Correct. A demon is any nasty thingy from the underworld. A daimone (also spelt 'daemon', I'm not sure which is deemed officially correct) is a theist entity similar to a spirit; a small demigod if you will. Some demons are also daimones (e.g. jukhars*) some are not (e.g. dehori). Whether demons are evil depends on your POV - many trolls would argue with you, but the Dara Happans and Malkioni would definitely back you up.

<< > Are demons chaotic?

 Demons yes, daemons (mostly?) no. >>

     To my understanding, demons are not necessarily chaotic, although a lot of them obviously are.

<<Yes, but it's unlikely. The Hydra (of Pamaltela IIRC?) is a Chaotic True Dragon. Very nasty !!>>

     There's a Greater Hydra in Dragon Pass too, though its pretty puny by comparison with most of the Pamaltelan ones. I would say its not as powerful as a True Dragon, and certainly nowhere near as big, although some tainted True Dragons are certainly rumoured.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky