Huraya and other subcults

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_hem.utfors.se>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:09:18 +0200

All this speculation about Huraya is interesting, but there are two ideas in it that IMHO seem to dilute the point of the myth. Namely, the notions that Huraya is actually a daughter or other relative of Orlanth, and that she's some sort of mixed Water/Earth or Air/Water deity.

So what is the point of the myth? Well, the Scarf is one of the four magic weapons. And why does Orlanth have them? To show that he has either defeated (Sky, Darkness) or been given the support of (Earth, Water) the old elements - Air is the new kid on the block, after all. This legitimizes Orlanth's claim to being King of the Gods.

So the myth of Huraya, whatever the story may be, is in function the myth of the Water tribe submitting to Orlanth's rule. Having her already be part of his family would kind of undermine this. (Maybe that's the version the Sea Gods tell: "She wasn't really one of us, so it doesn't count!")

OTOH, there is a certain lopsidedness here. The Sandals were swiped from Kyger Litor herself. The Shield was given by Babeester Gor, a prominent member of the Earth pantheon. The Sky Gods that Lightning was liberated from are nameless, but you can't expect Orlanth to tell those stuck-up gits apart, they all look the same and try to play mind games on you ("No, that wasn't the real sun, it was just one of his avatars. We have these 42 different suns, you see..." "Rubbish! I sliced him in two, he's dead, end of story!"). But Huraya is AFAIK never mentioned as a ranking Water Goddess. Maybe this represents his hold over Water being more tenuous? Then again, what do we really know about the Sea pantheon...

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg