Re: measurements

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:35:11 +0100 (BST)

Chris Lemens on the 'imperial' system::

> We don't call it anything.

I bet NASA called it a thing or two, and their space probes skipped and caught fire, merrily...

I thought they were called 'english' measurements, or 'standard' (a much more idiomatically American term, if I might say so).

ObGlorantha: I'd guess the Lunars, and when I say Lunars, of course I mean really, the Dara Happans, have anally (if not necessarily well) organised system of measurements. 111 thingies make a whatsit, 4 whatsits make a grand ho-ha, etc, etc. How do say the Orlanthi measure things? Do we steal from the Irish, and assume they have some phrase equivalent to 'a hundred yards' (meaning the thick end of a mile) and 'a couple of miles' (who knows how long)?

Cheers,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #716