Huraya

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:12:39 +0100

Another brief de-lurk before I go back to doing far too many other things at once (including reading what may possibly be the first second-hand copy of HW)

Lots of lovely Huraya stories: and of course they're all true!

Xavier Spinat mentioned that he thought Huraya was friends with Vinga somehow. He's probably thinking of the myth I have for how Vinga gets the Scarf of Mist. It's on my site, of course, but let me look it up and cut&paste....

"Vinga agreed to go out and fight a god who was threatening Huraya by blowing her mists away, if in return the nymph would defend those of Vinga's followers who remained behind. Huraya put a girdle of mist around Vinga's stead, and any man who entered it became lost and found himself outside again. That stead is now the temple of Tarthcaer, in the Quivin Hills, and it can be found by any woman who seeks Vinga's protection. "

Incidentally, if you hadn't realised, in every one of the Magic Weapons myths for Vinga, her opponent is actually: well, a powerful male Storm god. We don't specify which one, right? Just shows how contradictory her myths are, with all that change over history.

Meanwhile, you might like to know that in Duck Point c1597, the Ducks firmly believe that Huraya is the daughter of Issaries and the Creek-Stream-River. That's why there are mists over the River, but the Issaries boatmen can see through them. It's also why the Issaries symbol is a paddle. The Staff of course is the symbol of Leadership, not Trade, having been granted to them by Sartar (an Issaries hero, remember). Yes, they're seriously mixed-up!

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/