re. Measurements

From: richc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:26:50 +0100

Alex wrote:

<<ObGlorantha: I'd guess the Lunars, and when I say Lunars, of course I mean really, the Dara Happans, have anally (if not necessarily well) organised system of measurements. 111 thingies make a whatsit, 4 whatsits make a grand ho-ha, etc, etc. How do say the Orlanthi measure things? Do we steal from the Irish, and assume they have some phrase equivalent to 'a hundred yards' (meaning the thick end of a mile) and 'a couple of miles' (who knows how long)?>>

What is the derivation of that "Ob-" prefix by the way? I can see what it means from context but what does it _mean_?

Getting back to it - I'm absolutely certain both Sartarites and Dara Happans will have the concept (not the shared name of course) of a "furlong" meaning the length of a furrow. Of course just as they use different ploughs (I seem to recall) they will have different standard lengths of a furrow with lots of opportunities for confusion. "I told the native contingent to meet us a hundred furlongs north of the bridge, Sir. I can't understand where they've got to."

Richard Crawley

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #717