War of Dragon and Giants

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:11:18 +1200

Olli-Pekka Kantola:

>Could the war between dragons and the giants be the conflict between the
>mystical world and divine world? Or maybe not just that, but a conflict
>between beibg and un-being? ...and since this predates the green age, is
>this someway linked to the creation?

The war between the magical worlds normally starts in the Storm Age and intensifies in the Great Darkness. There's also a slight nit in that Dragons are not really of the Mystic Realm.

I'd place the War between Dragons and Giants as a draconic memory of the same event that is remembered by Vithelans as the Three Against One Myth that was up on glorantha.com earlier this year. (For those who don't have it - the three sons of Vith summon a dreadful dragon to fight their father). This occurs in the Vithelan Creation Cycle which the God Learners thought contemporary with the Green Age.

The Pelorians probably remember this event has Yelm defeating Burburstus, the Dark Dragon, and making it into his throne. The only description of this event AFAIK is in the Fortunate Succession p95 (and described in Carmanian terms).