Lunar Justice

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:24:40 +1200

John Hughes:

>Yelm, for the harsh unyielding reality of Law.

I'll quibble with the translation here. Pelorians would actually say the harsh unyielding reality of _Justice_ (that forbids the rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets and to steal bread).

>Lunar Law, at heart Darra Happan, is based on absolute moral stricture
>and individual notions of duty, responsibility and privilege according
>to social status.

Lunar Law does take into account communal ties and you can be punished for the actions of a kinsman so arguably one could say that it is the Lunars that are communal and the Orlanthi that are individuals.

David Cake suggests that a Lunar Magistrate might worship:

> Idovanus if from Carmania.

The Magi are not involved in the administration of justice. That's really the province of the Viziers who do not worship Idovanus.

>think that Lunar Law is a bit different, but not as universally
>applicable - a Lunar citizen generally has to appeal to it, and
>probably is not able to in civil cases.

IMO Lunar Law is little more than the sayings of the Goddess that a Lunar Official happens to be reciting as he's deciding the case. What's really happening is that he tries to use his Lunar Magics to find an acceptable compromise. If both parties dig in (or if he has a headache and doesn't feel like using his lunar magics right now), then he'll judge the case based on his personal preferences or in favour of whomever has paid him the larger bribe.

I don't think the Lunar Empire recognizes a distinction between civil and criminal law.