breeding shadow cats

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:00:58 +0300

: Another more important question is: Why, in that case, would the
: heortlings want different breeds of alynx?

And to this I would suspect that the answer is "because a wrighter tought it would be cool".

Personally I find it rather silly and uncool. The Shadow Cat's are sacred animals. Impressive, magical and kin to the Storm King.

I seriously doubt that the orlanthi breed them. I'm sure there is local variations, but I also think that the diversity within a breeding population of shadow cats is far more than the difference between different groups.

I'm sure the orlanthi don't keep their feline kin locked up, and try to selectively mate them to produce interesting pelt color, or silly flopped ears (like travesties of modern man).

The orlanthi creating breeds of Shadow Cats seriously diminishes their dignity and mysteriousnes in the game, at least for me. And the "mythic explanation" of Yinkins different kittens seems lame and artificial.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.