Lunar Magical orders

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:51:00 EDT

Richard Addy asks:
>I'm intrigued by the Lunars varied magical schools - could someone
>point to me to info about them? About all I have is the HW
>description of one Order ..

There will be at least a couple of sorcerous orders in the SGU book. Theistic cults are massively prevalent in the Empire with dozens of herocults, sub cults and special schools around. Consider the size of the Empire and several hundred years of wars and active attempts to create heroes and new deities, and you can imagine how many small groups of this nature there are. We could fill several volumes of them, easily.

So, aside from the offical stuff, there is ample room for creation. Some things to consider are:

1). Does the sorcerous order have a Lunar background and if so, which aspect of the Moon does it venerate to create its cyclical effect?

2). What is their role within the College of Magic? Are they part of or enemies of? Are they controlled by a noble house or by the Empire itself?

3). Theistic origins for Lunar cults are often devotees of another cult who discover the Goddess as being an aspect of or source of their old cult and thus transfer. Irripi Ontor, Etyries, Tarnils are typical of this.

Aside from the Lunar cults (those cults of cyclical nature drawing power or energy from the Moon, in one form or another) there are of course a slew of other cults and Orders, some new, some from the deep past, some long established, some refounded etc. Valere Addis cult is a good example of this. She is venerated as a medium for the Addi Goddess and for her ability to comprehend ritual for heroquests. Valere Addi guides are very common on state sponsored quests.

Hope this helps.

LUNAR LAW The prime aspect of Lunar justice is Natha, as the Balancer. Yelm is the source of absolute justice and Lukarius is the source of the codified form of that justice. In Carmania, it is Carmanos but it varies according to ones place in the Empire. Lunar justice is for Lunar citizens and is somewhat like a layer on top of regional justice, but one with overriding power for those of Lunar citizenship.

Martin Laurie